Every year, volunteers with the International Coastal Cleanup Singapore (ICCS) celebrate National Day with a coastal cleanup @ Lim Chu Kang beach and mangrove. This year we will be working on Saturday 6th Aug 2016: 8.00am – 10.30am. Meeting Point: Participants can meet at the bus stop outside Kranji MRT (Bus code: 45139) and will be transported to the cleanup site at Lim Chu Kang road end, or meet us at the venue itself.
Habitats along Singapore’s coastlines host an amazing biodiversity and trash present in these areas impact our wildlife adversely and devalue the natural beauty of the landscape. Coastal cleanups conducted by volunteers around the world remove this trash, raise awareness about the impact of marine trash, and motivate us to work towards solutions. including sustainable daily practises.
Lim Chu Kang beach and mangrove is an unprotected but precious patch of wetland, located in the northwest of Singapore. Incoming trash from the Johor Straits is regularly deposited on the shoreline and impacts the animals, plants and the organisms of the ecosystem there.
- 07.45am – Bus pick up at bus stop outside Kranji MRT (Bus code: 45139)
- 08.15am – Bus arrives at the Lim Chu Kang Road end. Apply insect repellant, collect gloves and trash bags. Safety and procedure briefing.
- 08.30am – Cleanup begins
- 09.45am – End of cleanup; transport trash bags to Trash Collection Points 1–3.
- 10.00am – Trash is weighed and moved to the Trah Disposal Point; debrief.
- 10.15am – Participants clean up; there are no public amenities in this area an your legs must be clean to enter the bus. So bring some water.
- 10.30am – Bus departs for Kranji MRT.
Things to note:
- Transport to Lim Chu Kang Beach, gloves, trash bags and weighing scales are provided.
- You must wear hard-soled covered shoes or booties to to protect your feet from hazards, else you will not be allowed to work in the area.
- A change of clothes is recommended after a sweaty workout.
- You must be clean to enter the bus – bring a cloth and extra water to do this.
- Long pants are recommended to protect your legs from insect bites.
- We will continue the cleanup in rain (bring rain gear) but cease if there is threat of lightning.
Things to bring:
- Water bottle (with at least one litre of water)
- Hat and/ or sun block
- Reusable raincoat / poncho (we will work in light rain)
- Towel to wipe off sand and mud
- Change of clothes for public transport.
- Sleep early the night before
- Have a decent breakfast – it’s hard work!
- Be punctual – the bus is unable to wait for latecomers; and the tide waits for no one!
- Refer to this recce report of Lim Chu Kang beach and mangrove.
- Please read our advice to participants to prepare yourself for the cleanup!